guestbook empty after a day or 2

More
17 years 2 months ago #640 by mismas
hey guys,

i installed guestbook v 1.7.1. everything is peachy except that after a day or 2 any messages left dissapear. the list.txt is just completely empty. anybody has an idea how this is possible?

cheers,

mis.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 2 months ago #641 by Norman
Have you changed the default 'admin' password.

If you have not and someone has discovered your Forum, they could attempt to hack in by using the default username/password. If they get in to the Admin Panel, they can delete every message :(

The Username and Password are configured in config.php. You might want to consider changing both the Username and the Password if you have not changed either so far.

Norman

More
17 years 2 months ago #642 by mismas
yep both user/pass has been changed to something else.....

any other ideas?...

cheers,

mis.

More
17 years 2 months ago #643 by Norman
When you say the list.txt is empty do you mean it is 0 bytes in size? Have you copied the list.txt from the Server back to your PC and looked at it in a plain text editor? Are you sure you are the oly person who has the admin logging credentials?

The only modules that mess with list.txt (other than for reading), are,

add.php and delete_process.php

That is from memory so I hope I am correct.

If you have not been using the admin delete process, then that leaves add.php.
I believe it would be very odd for the add.php to be corrupted in such a way that it zeroes out all the messages.

Have you had a word with the Hosting Company where your Guestbook resides?
Is there anything in the Guestbook that is likely to be considerd unsuitable by the Hosting Company? Have you compared the creation date of the emptied list.txt with the date you uploaded the Guestbook files. If you uploaded the files on say the 1-March-2007 and the date on list.txt (one on the Server) is 3-March-2007, then who created that file. When adding to list.txt a message is appended so a new list.txt is not created. Therefore the modified date will change but the creation date should not.

Norman

More
17 years 2 months ago #644 by Pete

Norman wrote: The only modules that mess with list.txt (other than for reading), are,

add.php and delete_process.php

That is from memory so I hope I am correct.

That is correct Norman.

Norman wrote: If you have not been using the admin delete process, then that leaves add.php.
I believe it would be very odd for the add.php to be corrupted in such a way that it zeroes out all the messages.

Yeah, there is no way for this file to become corrupt in a way to wipe out all the messages (unless someone had access to your server and modified the add.php to something else to wipe everything out.

Norman wrote: Have you had a word with the Hosting Company where your Guestbook resides?
Is there anything in the Guestbook that is likely to be considerd unsuitable by the Hosting Company? Have you compared the creation date of the emptied list.txt with the date you uploaded the Guestbook files. If you uploaded the files on say the 1-March-2007 and the date on list.txt (one on the Server) is 3-March-2007, then who created that file. When adding to list.txt a message is appended so a new list.txt is not created. Therefore the modified date will change but the creation date should not.

That's actually the most likely answer to this issue. Contact your hosting company and make sure that they did not remove the text data files.

DigiOz Webmaster
www.digioz.com

More
17 years 3 weeks ago #716 by jazzy
similar problem has just happened to my guestbook all entries deleted? I set my own username and password in the settings.

Time to create page: 0.129 seconds